The showdown begins! What showdown? The big decision: now that I can’t do Insanity, which program will I do? The opponents? ChaLean Extreme and T25. Both of these programs are by Beachbody (the makers of P90X and Insanity), which is a company I really like, and have found success with lately. Why do I like their programs so much? Well, frankly, I am kind of lazy. I enjoy the pre-packaged style of these programs. They normally are for a set length of time (2 or 3 months) and include a diet plan as well. Essentially all I have to do is follow the recipe to success! I don’t have to reinvent the wheel. For me, this system works great as I really enjoy structure. I like making and meeting milestones, and seeing progress. Both of these programs will allow for structure, direction, and motivation. Personally, without a set plan I tend not have quite as much success with fitness. I will definitely remain active on my own, but having the structure is the little oomph I need (especially with all the weddings coming up – no pressure or anything :)).
Thanks to Beachbody’s satisfaction guarantee, I actually was able to return Insanity and will now buy a lower impact program due to my knees. What a win! I’m so excited to select my next program and get going. I have not done either ChaLean Extreme or T25 before, so they will be a completely new experience to me.
Wedding Fitness Goals
With 90 days until my brother’s wedding and 186 until my own, let’s just say my desire for fitness might be taking on a slightly more vain approach than usual. Well, to be perfectly honest, I just don’t want to have to pay to get either dress altered (haha just call me el cheapo). My bridesmaid dress for my brother’s wedding barely zips. I’m talking barely.
My own wedding dress fits snugly, but I don’t want any anxiety about either fitting. I’m looking for a program that will help me tone and lose just a few pounds. I also don’t want to lose too much weight – that means alterations as well! Thanks to P90X I’m pretty close to where I’d like to be, so I’m also not looking for anything crazy extreme.
Detailed Personal Fitness Goals:
- Trim and tone – looking for a lean look (think of all the pictures!!)
- Working out up to 1 hour per day. Ideally 5 days a week. (I like making fitness a priority, but want to also have a life :))
- Low impact. I can’t do anything that would mess up my knees. My doctor said any exercises with heavy squats or angles on my knees are a no-go.
- Enjoyable. I tend to work out in the morning and I hate the morning (it’s a problem). I want something I can look forward to.
- Variety! I love programs that have different workouts every day and give a lot of variety in the type of workout.
- Easy to follow – make it simple for me. I don’t want to think (remember, I’m lazy).
- Lifting component. I feel like I’m losing my strength from P90X – okay I’m definitely losing my strength. I miss weight training.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these programs. First up… ChaLean Extreme.
From Beachbody’s website:
Get ready to burn fat, boost your metabolism, and get lean with ChaLEAN Extreme®. Trainer Chalene Johnson will help you build toned muscles so you can lose up to 60 percent of your body fat in just 3 months. ChaLEAN Extreme is designed to give you visible results in only 30 days.
Chalene’s Lean Phasing® technique shifts your body’s fat-burning focus from cardio to resistance training. By using weights or resistance bands, you’ll build lean muscle and ramp up your metabolism. When you have more muscle, you’ll burn fat long after your workout.
- 90 day program
- All days are under an hour, with the shortest around 35 minutes.
- 6 days a week.
- Nutrition guide included (Recipes though, which I stink at)
- 15 workouts included
- Variety of strength-training, cardio, and abs
- Focus on lifting – similar to P90X in this sense.
- Very positive reviews on Team Beachbody
- Low impact and modifications shown in the DVDs
And on the other side of the ring, Focus T25, the brand new program from Beachbody.
From Beachbody’s website:
25 MINUTES. 5 DAYS A WEEK. 100% RESULTS.
The only thing standing between you and the results you want is TIME.
Shaun T experimented for the last year to design a program that delivers the same kind of results you’d expect from an hour-long program, in under 30 minutes. He’s pulled out the rest to give you everything you need, nothing you don’t.
The result is FOCUS T25—and the name implies the intent: If you focus your intensity for 25 minutes, and you do it 5 days a week, you WILL get results.
- 25 minutes a day
- 5 days a week
- Nutrition plan included
- No reviews yet on Team Beachbody – it’s too new!
- A little concerned it could be too high impact, though I’ve been told it’s not. Also seems that there are low impact modifications.
- 10 week program
- No equipment needed
- 11 workouts
- Variety of workouts
- Simple movements and straight-forward instruction.
Such a tough choice! It seems like I’ll be in great shape (no pun intended, though it is a clever one ;)) with either option. I may eventually do both of them, it’s just a matter of which one first! I’m leaning toward ChaLean Extreme first to give my knees more time to recover…but I like the idea of T25 first because it might be more cardio focused and requires less time…remember the tiny Bridesmaid dress, yeah I need that to fit. Will all the lifting in ChaLean Extreme cause me and my ginormous muscles to be busting out of the dress? I’ve been thinking over the decision a lot lately and still can’t quite make up my mind. Any ideas from those of you that have done either of these programs?
Until the decision is made… Happy Tuesday!
Have you done ChaLean Extreme or T-25? What do you think is better?
(Note: I do not work for Beachbody, coach, or have family/close friends that do, additionally I will be purchasing either program using my own money).